FM3 - Ting Shuo《 听说 》
FM3 — Ting Shuo 《 听说 》
Christiaan Virant and Zhang Jian (FM3) composed “Ting Shuo” (which translates to “listen before speaking”) in a series of random hotel rooms across China and Hong Kong. It’s ambient, meditative music combining a cello, a grand piano, and a Roland keyboard to stunning effect. Acoustic samples are distorted into gorgeous drones that bend and flow freely as the pieces progress. It’s all really beautiful and natural — none of it feels discordant or atonal.
BEST: 3, 4, 6
1. San Lang 三浪 — A single high drone floats around flourishes of cello. Beautiful juxtaposition.
2. Ting Shuo 听说 — Gorgeous cello and piano dance around pulsing Kraftwork-esque ambient electronics.
3. Dui Xiang 对象 — Super subtle piece with a lot of negative space. Distorted, sustained cello coalesces into a drone.
4. Hei Guan 黑管 — Subdued electronic noise is surprisingly emotive. The piece is marked by sudden gaps in the sound, which leave you wanting more.
5. Fo Wu 仸无 — Lots of piano chords, with warping, looped electronic noise underneath.
6. Yi Gui 一归 — Piano and strings work in concert. The looping electronics form a dystopian background on which the acoustics can operate.